Holdings and activity of leading value funds.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Sun, 2016-12-04 02:01
- Each year we highlight some relevant gift ideas for investors & financial professional besides the obvious.
- Hedge Fund Wisdom - Our quarterly newsletter summarizing 13F filings.
- So You Want To Start a Hedge Fund - Somewhat cheesy title, but in reality a good book & quick read with lessons on success and failure from major funds.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2016-12-02 13:10
- The next generation of hedge fund stars: data-crunching computers [NYTimes].
- Credit Suisse said raising $2 billion for hedge fund stakes [Bloomberg].
- Hedge fund strategies no longer correlated with equity returns [Investing].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2016-12-02 13:04
- Bruce Berkowitz's investment firm Fairholme Capital has filed a 13D on shares of Sears Canada.
- Per the filing, Fairholme now owns 20% of SRSC with 20.37 million shares.
- Per Yahoo Finance, Sears Canada "Operates as a multi-format retailer in Canada. It operates department stores that offer a range of merchandise, including apparel, home fashions, and appliances; home stores, which provide home furnishings, appliances, and home electronics; outlet stores that sell surplus merchandise."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-12-01 07:00
- Each year, Boyar Research publishes their Forgotten Forty report which features the 40 stocks they believe have the greatest potential for capital appreciation in the year ahead, with an emphasis on near-term catalysts.
- Their 2017 report will be released soon and Boyar has kindly given Market Folly readers a special 20% discount if you purchase by December 12th. Each stock profiled in their report features a one page write-up summarizing the investment thesis, valuation, and what the potential catalyst is.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-11-30 12:28
- Warren Buffett's meeting with University of Maryland students [UMD].
- CBRE: industry deep dive to detect an emerging moat [Punch Card].
- Google's online travel adventure upsets its biggest advertisers [Bloomberg].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-11-29 11:32
- John Paulson's hedge fund firm Paulson & Co has submitted numerous SEC filings regarding its position in Extended Stay America and ESH Hospitality.
- Per a Form 4, Paulson sold 4.67 million shares of STAY and ESH Hospitality on November 18th at $14.76 as part of a secondary offering.
- "Extended Stay America and ESH Hospitality are paired shares. Per the filing,"Each paired share is comprised of one share of common stock of Extended Stay America and one share of Class B common stock of ESH Hospitality, which shares are paired and traded as a single unit.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-11-29 11:30
- Dmitry Balyasny's hedge fund firm Balyasny Asset Management has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Emerge Energy Services.
- Per the filing, Balyasny now owns 8.2% of EMES with 2.26 million shares.
- The filing was made due to activity on November 18th. For more from this fund, we've highlighted other recent portfolio activity from Balyasny here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-11-29 11:25
- Clint Carlson's hedge fund firm Carlson Capital has filed two separate 13D's with the SEC. Carlson Trims Forestar Group Position.
- First, Carlson has submitted a 13D filing on Forestar Group which indicates they now own 7.55% of FOR with 2.54 million shares.
- Second, Carlson Capital also submitted an SEC filing regarding their stake in Archrock.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-28 12:44
- Jeff Ubben's activist investment firm ValueAct Capital has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding its position in Allison Transmission.
- ValueAct still owns 10.52 million shares.
- This is the second time ValueAct has trimmed its Allison Transmission stake in recent months.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-28 12:33
- Welling on Wall Street recently interviewed Boyar Value Group's Mark Boyar and Jonathan Boyar and talked about various topics including: their investment strategy, some of their current favorite stock ideas, and behavioral finance.
- On investing, Mark Boyar noted that, "Patience is probably one of the most important elements of stock market investing. First, you have to find the great business at a good price, then you have to have patience, the fortitude and the ability to withstand gyrations in the stock market. That element is critically important."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-28 12:00
- Joel Ramin's hedge fund 12 West Capital has filed two 13D's with the SEC regarding shares of Diana Containerships and Euroseas.
- Per the filings, 12 West no longer owns any shares of either company as of November 17th. Shares of DCIX and ESEA spiked massively in mid-November and it looks like the fund took advantage of that to liquidate its positions.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-28 11:30
- Robert Karr's Joho Capital has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding its position in GrubHub.
- Per the filing, Joho now owns 5.1% of the company with over 4.37 million shares.
- This means they've increased their position size by 935,100 shares since the end of the third quarter when they owned 3.43 million shares.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-11-22 07:00
- The brand new Q3 issue of our Hedge Fund Wisdom newsletter was just released and summarizes the latest 13F filings of 25 top hedge funds.
- Investment Thesis Summaries of 2 stocks hedge funds have been active in: Find out which stocks and why.
- To see what the newsletter looks like, check out a free full past issue here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-21 13:22
- We're coming down to the wire for the Family Office Super Summit taking place in Miami next week.
- If you did plan to attend be sure to take advantage of the amazing offer that Market Folly has negotiated with the Family Office Club.
- Family office-led panel discussions and presentations will cover a range of topics including allocation trends, fund manager selection, co-investing, and more.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-11-21 13:15
- Zach Schreiber's hedge fund firm PointState Capital has filed a 13G with the SEC on shares of Comstock Resources.
- Per the filing, PointState now owns 9.99% of the company with 1.49 million shares.