Holdings and activity of leading value funds.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:00
- Jay Petschek and Steven Major's hedge fund firm Corsair Capital is out with its first quarter letter to investors.
- Corsair expects chairman Barry Diller to spin-off the online dating segment in order to unlock value.
- For more from this hedge fund, head to Corsair Capital's recent interview with Graham & Doddsville.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:40
- Hedge fund money going to venture-backed startups is skyrocketing [Yahoo].
- IRS weights rules on hedge fund managers' use of reinsurance.
- Small hedge funds get bigger share of investors' money [WSJ].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-04-24 12:35
- Clint Carlson's hedge fund firm Carlson Capital has filed a 13D on their position in Vitamin Shoppe.
- Per the filing, Carlson now owns 5.34% of the company with 1.58 million shares.
- The filing details they've been sporadically buying throughout late March and as late as April 20th. The 13D also notes they've engaged management in discussions about the business, management, and strategic alternatives/direction.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2015-04-22 10:26
- The pricing paradox: when diamonds aren't on tap.
- Time Warner, Viacom back away from Nielsen guarantees for ads [Variety].
- Starwood Hotels giving activists reason to check in [Bloomberg].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2015-04-21 08:27
- David Einhorn is out with Greenlight Capital's first quarter letter to investors.
- They sold Aetna, closed shorts in Safeway, Freescale Semiconductor, and Lorillard.
- They started a new short in Reynolds American.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2015-04-21 08:25
- It's been a long time since we checked in on well known market strategist Jeff Saut.
- Saut then goes on to talk about some market technicals and the latest market datapoints.
- They feel crude oil has bottomed and that the stock market, even if it sells off in the near-term, would be doing so "Within the construct of a secular bull market that has eight to nine years left on the upside."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2015-04-21 08:15
- Phil Hempleman's hedge fund Ardsley Partners has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Bluerock Residential Growth REIT.
- Per the filing, Ardsley has revealed a 5% ownership stake in the company with 625,900 shares.
- Per Google Finance, Bluerock Residential Growth REIT is "a real estate investment trust. The Company is engaged in acquiring and developing a diversified portfolio of real estate. The Company also intends to acquire residential properties. The Company's operations are managed by Bluerock Multifamily Advisor, LLC.".
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2015-04-21 08:05
- Rew Spokes' hedge fund firm Farallon Capital has filed an amended 13D with the SEC regarding their stake in Hudson Pacific Properties.
- Per the filing, Farallon now owns 4.1% of the company with over 3.63 million shares.
- Their most recent filing was required due to activity on April 10th as Farallon Funds "Completed an underwritten public offering of 6,037,500 shares."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-04-20 13:09
- Reas Halvorsen's hedge fund firm Viking Global has just filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Envision Healthcare Holdings.
- Per the filing, Viking now owns 6.3% of the company with over 11.5 million shares.
- You can view additional recent portfolio activity from Viking Global here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-04-20 08:22
- On oil: "Well, I'm pretty optimistic on crude prices. I think they're going to do better than the forward curve. Well, because as my protégé, Zach Schreiber, said a year ago, the cure for high prices is high prices. Well, he would also say now the cure for lower prices - low prices is low prices."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-04-20 08:07
- Tiger Management's Julian Robertson recently was interviewed by Fox Business and touched on bubbles developing, interest rates, the US Dollar and select US equities.
- Robertson thinks the equity rally will be stalled by an increase in interest rates.
- As to what stocks Robertson likes, Gilead Sciences was mentioned.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-04-20 08:00
- Barry Rosenstein's hedge fund firm JANA Partners has gone activist on Qualcomm.
- JANA now owns around $2 billion worth of Qualcomm shares.
- Embedded below is the video of Rosenstein's interview with CNBC:. For more from this hedge fund, we've highlighted other recent portfolio activity from JANA.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-03-27 12:23
- Dmitry Balyasny's investment firm Balyasny Asset Management has filed two separate 13G's with the SEC.
- First, Balyasny has revealed a brand new equity stake in Basic Energy Services.
- You can view additional recent portfolio activity from Balyasny here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-03-27 12:17
- Keith Meister's activist hedge fund Corvex Management has filed an amended 13D with the SEC regarding its position in Signet Jewelers.
- Per the filing, Corvex now owns 7.2% of SIG with over 5.74 million shares.
- Corvex's filing says they commend Signet "For its new capital allocation policy and look forward to continuing to engage in constructive and collaborative conversations."
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-03-27 12:00
- The content provided within this blog is property of market folly and any views or opinions expressed herein are those solely of market folly and do not represent that of any firm or institution.
- Market folly is not an investment advisor of any kind, so do not consider anything on this page to be legal, tax, or investment advice.
- Market folly is not responsible for any 3rd party links or content.