Holdings and activity of leading value funds.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-07-12 11:16
- From time to time we like to highlight relevant financial deals we come across.
- The sale applies to all versions: print, digital, or both.
- The offer expires on August 7th so definitely take advantage of the savings and lock-in low prices while you can.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-07-12 11:00
- NYU Stern's student-run investment newsletter eVALUATION is out with their latest issue.
- The issue also features investment pitches from students, including: long Harman International and long Terraform Global.
- For more like this, check out NYU Stern's interview with Marc Lasry as well as their issue on private market investing.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-07-12 10:30
- Joel Ramin's hedge fund firm 12 West Capital has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Ari Network Services.
- Per the filing, 12 West now owns 5.9% of the company with 1,020,010 shares.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-07-11 12:17
- Philippe Laffont's hedge fund firm Coatue Management has just filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Twilio.
- Per the filing, they now own 6.25% of the company with 625,000 shares.
- Coatue previously invested when Twilio was still private.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-07-11 12:03
- Jeff Ubben's activist investment firm ValueAct Capital has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding their stake in Alliance Data Systems.
- Per the filing, ValueAct now owns 6.8% of the company with 4 million shares.
- Our Hedge Fund Wisdom newsletter flagged ValueAct's new purchase back in May. The 13D notes that ValueAct intends to have discussions with management and the board about ways to enhance shareholder value.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-07-11 11:30
- Julian Robertson's hedge fund firm Tiger Management has recently submitted two filings to the SEC. Tiger Files 13G on T2 Biosystems.
- First, Tiger Management has filed a 13G on T2 Biosystems.
- Secondly, in a separate 13G filed with the SEC, the hedge fund firm also shows a 2.5% stake in Enzymotec with 577,407 shares.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-07-11 11:00
- Bill Ackman's hedge fund firm Pershing Square Capital has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding its position in Zoetis.
- Previously, we highlighted that Pershing was offering ZTS shares for sale.
- We've also highlighted some other recent Pershing Square portfolio moves.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-06 12:40
- How your brain picks and sticks with winning decisions.
- The CFA exam's toughest question: what's the payoff? [Bloomberg].
- As self driving cars hit the road, innovation is outpacing insurance [NYTimes].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-06 12:30
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-06 12:15
- Keith Meister's activist hedge fund firm Corvex Management has filed an amended 13D regarding its stake in Williams Companies jointly along with Soroban Capital's Eric Mandelblatt.
- Per the filing, the two gentlemen have stepped down from Williams' board of directors since the company was unwilling to replace Alan Armstrong as CEO. You can view Meister's resignation letter here and Mandelblatt's here.
- The 13D notes that their respective stakes in the company remain unchanged.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-06 12:00
- Joel Ramin's hedge fund firm 12 West Capital has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding shares of Research Solutions.
- Per the filing, 12 West now owns 32.9% of the company with over 8.32 million shares.
- You can view additional portfolio activity from 12 West Capital here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2016-06-24 14:34
- The content provided within this blog is property of MarketFolly.com and any views or opinions expressed herein are those solely of MarketFolly.com and do not represent that of any firm or institution.
- MarketFolly.com is not an investment advisor of any kind, so do not consider anything on this page to be legal, tax, or investment advice.
- MarketFolly.com is not responsible for any 3rd party links or content.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-06-22 13:33
- Spending money to make money, a.k.a. stock based compensation.
- Mary Meeker's 2016 internet trends report [Recode].
- China Connect: key mobile market trends in China [Slideshare].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-06-16 08:00
- He has written an intriguing book entitled Dear Chairman: Boardroom Battles and the Rise of Shareholder Activism.
- While the first few chapters of the book are admittedly slower and perhaps not as intriguing, the back half of Dear Chairman is chalk full of interesting anecdotes.
- The book is around 250 pages, so not a terribly huge ask in terms of time commitment, and it's easy to stop and pick back up after each Chapter given they all detail independent situations.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-06-15 12:21
- "What can go wrong? How much can you lose? We don't think of risk in an academic sense of beta, which doesn't make any sense to us at all. Volatility's not risk, volatility is volatility. Volatility creates opportunities and isn't necessarily risk at all, unless you absolutely needed to sell the day that prices are really low. Rather, risk is the probability of losing and how much you can lose if you lose. So we focus on risk before we focus on return."