Submitted by VINBot on Sat, 2018-11-17 07:55
- A great overview on where innovation will happen next from Benedict Evans (A16Z):
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2018-11-16 20:06
- At the current stock price you get the company for free.
- One of the main reasons for developing the materials business is to diversify CVD's customer base and reduce the lumpiness of our equipment business.
- This is one of the many reasons CVD will continue to make significant investments in our next-generation solutions and materials.
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2018-11-16 19:49
- Who saved Siddhartha the samana from samsara, from sin, from greed, from folly?
- They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
- He’s observed that the smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they’d already solved.
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2018-11-16 18:20
- Business Aircraft – $356 million EBITDA, spent $617 million in capitalized expenses (net these two – this is a $261 million cash burn) – can they actually turn this around and make money?
- An $85 million cash drain in the first 9 months of 2018, if repeated in 2019, will result in another $113 million cash going out the window.
- Where will they get the cash?
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Fri, 2018-11-16 15:00
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2018-11-16 06:10
- It is also a big thank you to those who have been following me all these years, either here or on DSR!
- Yeah, it’s been five years that Dividends Stock Rock has been helping thousands of investors.
- 05:45 MH: Just wanna tell you that I’m grateful, and I do that because I’m passionate about the stock market, and I’m so glad that I get to meet all those investors like you.
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2018-11-16 04:37
- Here’s a list of this week’s best investing reads:
- This week’s best investing research:
- This week’s best investing podcasts:
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 17:53
- Some days, I thought I spent more time waiting for things than actually doing any work.
- Anyway, I still love Linux and have a Linux box sitting next to my main Windows 10 machine.
- For the businesses where things may get funky, like the insurance businesses, those are highly regulated, and Buffett is very closely monitoring those businesses and is very involved as he says, with big blocks of business (talks to Jain several times a day etc...).
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 06:25
- Somebody put on the ballot that Berkshire should pay a dividend.
- With over a million shareholders our shareholders voted 47 to 1 against paying a dividend.
- Now that only comes through years of communication and explaining to them why dividends really don’t make sense in our case at this time.
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 06:25
- DXC Technology is a vendor-independent IT services provider that started trading in April 2017.
- Joel Greenblatt – 572,440 total shares
- Jim Simons – 344,100 total shares
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 01:11
- * * *
The photograph of the Pale Blue Dot and the above note from Sagan are deeply humbling.
- …We make a long-term stock investment because we want it to appreciate over years or decades.
- The Heilbrunn Center for Graham and Dodd Investing created a wonderful video in 2013 titled ‘Legacy of Ben Graham,’ which contains bytes from some of his students on how Graham’s teachings changed their lives.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 15:28
- It was in 1980, when Jack Welch became the CEO of the company, that the company started its march towards what it has become today.
- Since GE will be trying to sell these businesses to buyers today, this is a pricing and not a valuation exercise, and I have estimate a pricing for GE's businesses below, using an EBITDA recomputed using the average operating margin in each business over the last five years to compute operating income and allocating corporate expenses to the divisions, based upon revenues.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Wed, 2018-11-14 13:17
For most people fortunate enough to be born in the U.S., or any other industrialized country, they have access to the two main ingredients to achieve financial success: 1. Opportunity and 2. Time. Unfortunately, very few people are able to take advantage of the situation enough to even build a secure retirement. Here are some of the reasons people fail, and what you can do to not fall into that group...
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 06:41
- When I think of WH Smith, I think of a company which sells products that are either:
- in decline (physical newspapers, magazines and books), can be purchased more easily online (note paper, pencils, exercise books) or are basically extinct (CDs, DVDs and vinyl records).
- Since then, WH Smith’s share price has jumped up by about 17% to 2,050p, so the shares are not quite so attractive now, but it’s still one of the top-rated stocks on my stock screen , so I think the article is still worth reading:
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 06:19