Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 09:38
- Lets kick off the week with another edition of the always eclectic Spinoff Odds and Ends: 1) Thyssenkrupp Update We provided an update on thyssenkrupp’s (TKAMY) new ‘strategic direction’ last week.
- The JV with Tata Steel is out and the elevator business spinoff was scrapped for an IPO instead.
- Just a few days later though, the story seems… Read More »
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 08:10
- It means that the student continues to believe that coin is fair, even if has landed heads 99 times in a row!
- A man of “experience, understanding and sophistication” will reason that the probability of the coin being rigged is vasty more than 1 in a 1,267,650,600,228,229,401,496,703,205,376 chance.
- What are these games in the world of financial markets?
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 07:53
- When the share price fell below $14 in late March I was tempted back and reestablished a position.
- As of mid-May the shares are back under $18.
- But before I reestablish a position I want to see how low the share price will go.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 05:39
- So, it doesn’t matter if you think a company is good, if you everyone else thinks it’s good.
- We don’t know what the future is gonna hold, so you might as well buy it cheap.
- That is what investors do, that is what investment models do, they forecast prices.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 05:14
- “If you took our top fifteen decisions out, we’d have a pretty average record.
- It wasn’t hyperactivity, but a hell of a lot of patience.
- You stuck to your principles and when opportunities came along, you pounced on them with vigor.–Charlie Munger
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-20 05:06
- You can check out my complete list of dividend industrial stocks here .
- The company expects the completion of this project in mid-2019.
- In 2018, the company presented a plan to integrate all its partners into a single company.
Submitted by arohaninc on Sun, 2019-05-19 20:02
Heed the Oracle. These 9 nuggets have been selected to change your thinking to that of a superinvestor
Submitted by arohaninc on Sat, 2019-05-18 16:58
Warren Buffett is abandoning book value as a metric to value Berkshire Hathaway stock. Does this mean we, value investors, should follow suit? Not at all, and here are the reasons why.
Submitted by VINBot on Sat, 2019-05-18 12:03
- Transition costs will be felt most in carbon-intensive sectors, such as the oil and gas sector.
- If some fossil fuel reserves remain unexploited, assets in this sector may become stranded, losing much of their value.
- I would rank the ability for climate change to cause a systemic financial disaster in the Canadian financial system to be on par with the risk of a moderately large asteroid hitting the planet and causing wide-scale disruption – both events would be “climate-related”, per se, and cause real disruption.
Submitted by VINBot on Sat, 2019-05-18 09:41
- On Gazprom and why some Value Investments need catalysts
Submitted by VINBot on Sat, 2019-05-18 02:54
- I read this story on Aircel’s lenders agreeing to take a 99% haircut on dues worth Rs 20,000 crore.
- And decided to take a (pathetic) shot at poetry on a Saturday morning…
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2019-05-17 18:03
- Another way is to go through 13F-HR filings of various fund managers I respect and try to examine some of their holdings.
- Corepoint’s financials don’t show an entity making a ton of money on operations and are instead banking on land.
- The income statement is very low margin and the industry is competitive to the point where they’d need to be the lowest cost producer on the virtue of localized economies of scale – this has been tried before in many instances.
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2019-05-17 15:35
- “I organize my life in such a way that I get lots of long, consecutive, uninterrupted time chunks…I’ve invested significant effort to minimize the shallow in my life while making sure I get the most out of the time this frees up.
- Deep Work = When decide to work, don’t waste time, and work efficiently.
- Be mindful of task trying to accomplish and focus only on that task — no switching, no distractions!
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Fri, 2019-05-17 13:49
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of Qualcomm Incorporated (QCOM). Below are some highlights from the above linked analysis:
Company Description: Qualcomm Incorporated focuses on developing products and services based on its advanced wireless broadband technology...
Submitted by VINBot on Fri, 2019-05-17 13:01
- For example, under “Other income (expense)”, the entire $4.591 million under “Loss on Financial Instruments” consists of fair value adjustments.
- $2.569 million of the $4.591 million consists of a mark-to-market adjustment on the fair value of warrants the company has outstanding.
- Therefore, the company “lost” $2.6 million and this has to be reported on the income statement as a financial expense.