Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 17:53
- Some days, I thought I spent more time waiting for things than actually doing any work.
- Anyway, I still love Linux and have a Linux box sitting next to my main Windows 10 machine.
- For the businesses where things may get funky, like the insurance businesses, those are highly regulated, and Buffett is very closely monitoring those businesses and is very involved as he says, with big blocks of business (talks to Jain several times a day etc...).
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 06:25
- Somebody put on the ballot that Berkshire should pay a dividend.
- With over a million shareholders our shareholders voted 47 to 1 against paying a dividend.
- Now that only comes through years of communication and explaining to them why dividends really don’t make sense in our case at this time.
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 06:25
- DXC Technology is a vendor-independent IT services provider that started trading in April 2017.
- Joel Greenblatt – 572,440 total shares
- Jim Simons – 344,100 total shares
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-11-15 01:11
- * * *
The photograph of the Pale Blue Dot and the above note from Sagan are deeply humbling.
- …We make a long-term stock investment because we want it to appreciate over years or decades.
- The Heilbrunn Center for Graham and Dodd Investing created a wonderful video in 2013 titled ‘Legacy of Ben Graham,’ which contains bytes from some of his students on how Graham’s teachings changed their lives.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 15:28
- It was in 1980, when Jack Welch became the CEO of the company, that the company started its march towards what it has become today.
- Since GE will be trying to sell these businesses to buyers today, this is a pricing and not a valuation exercise, and I have estimate a pricing for GE's businesses below, using an EBITDA recomputed using the average operating margin in each business over the last five years to compute operating income and allocating corporate expenses to the divisions, based upon revenues.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Wed, 2018-11-14 13:17
For most people fortunate enough to be born in the U.S., or any other industrialized country, they have access to the two main ingredients to achieve financial success: 1. Opportunity and 2. Time. Unfortunately, very few people are able to take advantage of the situation enough to even build a secure retirement. Here are some of the reasons people fail, and what you can do to not fall into that group...
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 06:41
- When I think of WH Smith, I think of a company which sells products that are either:
- in decline (physical newspapers, magazines and books), can be purchased more easily online (note paper, pencils, exercise books) or are basically extinct (CDs, DVDs and vinyl records).
- Since then, WH Smith’s share price has jumped up by about 17% to 2,050p, so the shares are not quite so attractive now, but it’s still one of the top-rated stocks on my stock screen , so I think the article is still worth reading:
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 06:19
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 05:10
- These documents allow investors to track their favorite superinvestors, their fund’s current holdings, plus their new buys and sold out positions.
- We spend a lot of time here at The Acquirer’s Multiple digging through these 13F-HR documents to find out which superinvestors hold positions in the stocks listed in our Stock Screeners .
- As a new weekly feature, we’re now providing the top 10 holdings, new additions to the portfolio, and sold out positions from some of our favorite superinvestors based on their latest 13F-HR documents.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-11-14 04:11
- So when they’re winning and they’re hot they’re very very cautious and when they’re cold and losing money they’re betting big because they want to go home and tell their wife or their friends they made money.
- If I was down I had not earned the right to play big and the little bets you’re talking about were simply on to tell me had I re-established a rhythm and was I starting to make hits again.
- But it is really really important if you’re a money manager to know when you’re seeing the ball.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-11-13 15:37
- The interest rate rises are finally starting to hit the markets with asset price drops.
- The environment is a lot different, however.
- Making money on asset appreciation is much more difficult in an environment when the cost of capital is rising and money is being drained out of the system at an increasing pace .
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-11-13 05:51
- Dan Loeb recently released his Q32018 shareholder letter in which he discusses the difficulty of investing in the market this year, the current market environment, and how he plans to invest in the future.
- After October’s market rout, it seems that the environment this year ought to have been dubbed the “Bad Place Market.”
- Over the next few months, we will focus on further evolving our “quantamental” process to aid in portfolio selection, construction, and hedging.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-11-13 05:32
- BX could look like another asset manager offering a generous dividend yield to shareholders.
- With the recent stock price drop (high of $84 back in 2016), this is a good opportunity to buy a high yielding REIT paying monthly dividends.
- While the dividend yield is currently over 7%, it includes a special dividend.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-11-13 04:51
- An expert rule in my business is to never hire a well-dressed trader.
- The Lindy effect is a concept that the future life expectancy of some non-perishable things like a technology or an idea is proportional to their current age, so that every additional period of survival implies a longer remaining life expectancy.
- Example: If a book has been in print for forty years, I can expect it to be in print for another forty years.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-11-13 04:15
- Here’s another list of monthly stock ideas that I track to see which sectors are considered value.
- To double check that I’m not making things up, I like to look at profit margins of sectors.
- The charts below depict the forecasted vs actual profit margins.