Submitted by Dividends4Life on Wed, 2019-05-15 13:08
In my dividend database, I track around 200 stocks in 11 different sectors. Generally, the characteristics of certain sectors tend to match those that dividend growth investors are looking for, thus their constituents are often make better dividend investments. In the case of the stocks I track, nearly half of them are in these three sectors...
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2019-05-15 07:37
- We discussed one scrapped spinoff earlier this week – Brunswick’s Life Fitness – but, alas, it wasn’t an isolated incident.
- In this edition of Odds & Ends we catch you up on the latest in abandoned spin plans: 1.
- Thyssenkrupp’s Elevator Spinoff thyssenkrupp (TKAMY) shocked the markets with a stunning strategic about face ‘reset’ last week.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2019-05-15 06:25
- During his recent interview with Tobias, Justin Carbonneau, a Partner at Validea Capital discusses the performance of some of the greatest investors of all time, and how one investor in particular managed to out-perform Mohnish Pabrai.
- To look at, but it’s the chart of it has returns on the y-axis and the number of years on the x-axis, and it shows all these great superstar investors, and where they would be.
- You can find out more about Tobias’ podcast here – The Acquirers Podcast .
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2019-05-15 06:25
- ANDY SERWER: Someone was telling me the other day that they thought that you could actually sort of think of Apple and Amazon not as technology companies so much, but as big-branded growth businesses, which would be something that would be appealing to you.
- CHARLIE MUNGER: Well, there are a whole lot of things I don’t think about.
- ANDY SERWER: Have you looked– so, you’re not interested in Uber or companies like that necessarily?
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2019-05-15 05:08
- He's been completely obsessed with Graham's net net strategy since 2010, and has spent much of his time since learning how to employ the strategy to earn the highest returns possible.
- Markets are no different.
- Indeed, Japan is a significant opportunity for deep value investors, since the Japanese markets are relatively much cheaper.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2019-05-15 01:36
- While I believe that the success rate in trading is less than that in long-term value investing (and this belief is debatable), I also feel that good traders are far more detached than value investors.
- For a trader, the mindset of capital preservation first, makes him far far more detached than a typical value investor who tends to fall in love with his ideas and cling to those ideas even when evidence warrants a change of mind.
- This means that if you are a budding value investor, you should have in your network, a few successful traders.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2019-05-14 22:38
- AT&T and Verizon have significant high-band spectrum holdings and both have installed mmWave service in several markets.
- While it appears mmWave is Verizon's sole focus, SPRINT: Sprint has the best prospects for early 5G service.
- For the iPhone - Not having 5G in 2020 is a risk because carriers will only promote devices that can run on their new network service, and won't recommend the devices that can't.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2019-05-14 17:21
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2019-05-14 07:02
- During his recent interview with Tobias, Justin Carbonneau, a Partner at Validea Capital discusses how often the time when your investment strategy is really about to start working is right at the time you’re going to fold your hand.
- Tobias Carlisle: It takes a long time to get into the seat.
- The people that were investing with us benefited from that.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2019-05-14 01:52
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Mon, 2019-05-13 13:13
There are winners and there are champions in every walk of life. The difference is subtle, but very real. A champion is driven for success and will not let anything stand in its way. Some dividend stocks can be classified as champions. A bad economy, tight credit markets and a dark cloud of uncertainty are enough send some dividend companies running for the exit. However, these are the times that champions stand firm.
This week several companies answered the call and rewarded their shareholders with higher cash dividends...
Submitted by arohaninc on Mon, 2019-05-13 12:49
AKA, how to maximize your profits and grow your wealth.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-13 07:45
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-13 07:27
- The Behavioral Investor
- It is a heap of thoughts about risk, active vs. passive investing, bubbles, value and momentum factors, building a rules-based process, etc.
- Therefore, you need to use a rules-based system that you evaluate not on the outcomes but on the quality of the process:
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2019-05-13 06:26
- Justin Carbonneau: The next criteria is, we look at ten years of earnings.
- Justin Carbonneau: One of the things with managed accounts or with an ETF, the turnover, you don’t want to be turning 50% of the portfolio every month, which some of these models, if you just let them run, you need a way to manage that turnover.
- Justin Carbonneau: Those kinds of factors are you’re not really excluding the companies that would be in the portfolio.