Submitted by ModernGraham on Sat, 2016-07-30 08:50
I evaluated 20 different companies this week to determine whether they are suitable for Defensive Investors, those unwilling to do substantial research, or Enterprising Investors, those who are willing to do such research. I also put each company through the ModernGraham valuation model based on Benjamin Graham's value investing formulas in order to determine an intrinsic value for each. Out of those 20 companies, only 7 were found to be undervalued or fairly valued and suitable for either Defensive or Enterprising Investors.
Submitted by Dividend Growth... on Fri, 2016-07-29 16:12
Last week I shared with you a list of nine dividend champions, which I believed were attractively valued. Today I am sharing with you a few more companies, which I believe are attractively valued. These companies have managed to boost dividends for at least a decade, have a P/E ratio below 20, and a current yield above 2% which is covered by earnings. These are companies which are good candidates for further research. The companies include:
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2016-07-29 12:11
- First, the investment firm has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding shares of Trinity Industries.
- Per the filing, ValueAct now owns 6.8% of the company with over 10.39 million shares.
- Second, in a Form 4 filed with the SEC, ValueAct has sold shares of Microsoft.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2016-07-29 12:00
- Investors say stop paying fund of hedge funds [NYPost].
- How solo fund managers stack up against the team players [FT]. The strategy of hedge fund selection.
- Inside McKinsey's private hedge fund [FT]. The hedge fund industry needs a makeover [FT]. ValueAct to pay record $11 million to settle antitrust lawsuit [WSJ].
Submitted by ModernGraham on Fri, 2016-07-29 10:56
There are a number of great companies in the market today. I've selected the highest dividend yields among the undervalued companies for defensive dividend stock investors reviewed by ModernGraham. Each company has been determined to be suitable for the Defensive Investor according to the ModernGraham approach.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-07-28 14:27
- Jay Petschek and Steven Major's hedge fund Corsair Capital is out with its second quarter letter.
- They also provide updates on numerous positions, including Diamond Resorts International, Olin Corp, Clearwater Paper, Voya Financial, Countrywide plc, and IAC/InterActive.
- Lastly, they feature a write-up on Quintiles Transnational which is set to merge with IMS Health.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-07-28 14:12
- Mick McGuire's activist firm Marcato Capital Management has recently taken stakes in two companies.
- First, Marcato just filed a 13D with the SEC regarding shares of Terex.
- Second, McGuire has also filed a 13D with the SEC regarding shares of Buffalo Wild Wings.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-07-28 14:00
- Philippe Laffont's hedge fund firm Coatue Management has filed an amended 13G with the SEC regarding their position in Twilio.
- Per the filing, Coatue now owns 3.8% of TWLO with 437,152 shares.
- This is down from the 625,000 shares they previously reported owning.
Submitted by ModernGraham on Thu, 2016-07-28 11:07
I've selected the best companies reviewed by ModernGraham which trade below their Graham Number. The companies selected all are found suitable for the Defensive Investor and/or the Enterprising Investor, and have been valued as undervalued based on the ModernGraham valuation model. Further, the overall screen found 33 companies meeting these criteria, and the full list can be found near the end of this article; however, to cut down on the length of the post, I've selected the ten which trade furthest below their Graham Number.
Submitted by Ken Faulkenberry on Thu, 2016-07-28 10:04
The purpose of the income statement format & components is to dissect the revenues, expenses, operating income, and profits of an entity.
Submitted by Ken Faulkenberry on Thu, 2016-07-28 10:02
Investors looking for a leveraged investment to higher oil & gas prices might consider ConocoPhillips as a speculative value choice.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Thu, 2016-07-28 07:17
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of Duke Energy (DUK). Below are some highlights from the above linked analysis:
Company Description: Duke Energy Corp. merged with Progress Energy in mid-2012, and is the largest electric power holding company in the U.S., serving more than 7 million customers in six states...
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-27 14:11
- Dan Loeb's hedge fund Third Point is out with its Q2 letter.
- In it, they talk about their new private investment in Didi Chuxing, a Chinese ridesharing service that currently has more market share than Uber in China.
- Third Point also updates their stake on Baxter and talks about their increased energy credit exposure.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-27 14:00
- David Einhorn's hedge fund Greenlight Capital is out with its Q2 letter.
- The hedge fund also exited numerous longs during the quarter: Macy's, American Capital Agency, Baxter, Oil States International.
- For other recent hedge fund letters, we also posted up Third Point's Q2 letter here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-07-27 13:45
- An in-depth look at food chain Chili's [GQ]. India's audacious plan to bring digital banking to 1.2 billion people [Bloomberg].
- India's Flipkart has an Amazon problem [Bloomberg].
- Watching Brazil's rich: a full-time job [NYTimes].