Submitted by Ken Faulkenberry on Thu, 2016-05-05 16:31
Use Free Cash Flow calculations to evaluate the health of an organization. Cash flow will determine whether the goals of stakeholders are met.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2016-05-05 00:09
- The 2016 Sohn Conference New York just concluded and featured top hedge fund managers sharing investment ideas in order to benefit the Sohn Conference Foundation which is dedicated to the treatment and cure of pediatric cancer and childhood diseases.
- Pitched Lab Corp as well: hit by fears of new technology, but Theranos story shows that it's not that easy to come up with new technology.
- Sohn Investment Contest Winner: DXCM, Dexcom short was the pitch.
Submitted by Ken Faulkenberry on Wed, 2016-05-04 18:04
When it comes to infrastructure, energy, and natural resource development, customers look to Caterpillar. But is it a good investment?
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-05-04 11:15
- 'Free' shipping crowds out small retailers [WSJ].
- In China's Northeast, a daily jostle for jobs [NYTimes].
- Google's yearly founders' letter [GoogleBlog].
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-05-04 11:10
- Still short Alibaba Group with his bearish China bet.
- Still short Valeant after originally shorting in 2014; thinks it's still not cheap and argues people are using valuation metrics that aren't right.
- Short Elon Musk: betting against Tesla and SolarCity still.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-05-04 11:10
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has filed a Form 4 with the SEC regarding its position in Verisign.
- This stock was largely thought to be one of Berkshire's younger portfolio managers' holdings.
- These gentlemen now manage $9 billion each for Berkshire.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Wed, 2016-05-04 11:00
- Guggenheim Investments a few years ago published a research piece entitled The ROIC Curve Valuation Framework.
- In it, they examine a few things: theoretical drivers of firm valuation, why focus on ROIC?, using the ROIC curve as a screening tool, ROIC curve empirical results, and the ROIC curve versus traditional valuation anomalies.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Wed, 2016-05-04 07:10
The S&P 500 Index is owned and maintained by Standard & Poor's, a division of McGraw-Hill. The index was first published in 1957 and is the second most recognized index in the U.S. behind only the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Stocks included in the S&P 500 are large publicly companies that trade on either the New York Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ...
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-05-03 13:05
- The Milken Institute just featured a conversation on the evolution of hedge funds and the future of asset management.
- He notes hedge funds haven't performed well since the financial crisis and thinks they should be hedging more and be more uncorrelated to the indexes.
- Neil Chriss: argues that funds are too much like the indices but also too much like each other.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-05-03 12:46
- David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital is out with its first quarter letter.
- They returned 3% net in the first quarter after a very difficult 2016 which saw many of their top holdings implode.
- At the end of the first quarter, Einhorn's top holdings were: Apple, CONSOL Energy, General Motors, gold, and Time Warner.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-05-03 12:45
- The issue also features the stock pitches from students from the 9th annual Pershing Square challenge.
- Next, second place went to a long pitch on Charles Schwab.
- Finalists also included a long pitch on Advance Auto Parts, a long of Alcoa, and a long of Alliance Data Systems.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Tue, 2016-05-03 12:30
- John Scully's SPO Advisory has filed a 13G and a Form 4 with the SEC regarding their position in Resolute Energy.
- Per the filings, SPO now owns 6.3% of the company with 4.8 million shares.
- They sold 10 million shares on April 28th at $0.51.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Tue, 2016-05-03 07:12
Linked here is a detailed quantitative analysis of W.W. Grainger, Inc. (GWW). Below are some highlights from the above linked analysis:
Company Description: Grainger Inc. is the largest global distributor of industrial and commercial supplies, such as hand tools, electric motors, light bulbs and janitorial items...
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-05-02 13:49
- Robert Pitts, Jr.'s hedge fund firm Steadfast Capital has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of GrubHub.
- Per the filing, Steadfast now owns 5.1% of the company with over 4.31 million shares.
- This is the first time Steadfast Capital has been covered on the site.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2016-05-02 13:36
- Philippe Laffont's hedge fund firm Coatue Management has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Square.
- Per the filing, Coatue now owns 5.99% of the company with over 1.89 million shares.
- The filing was made due to activity on April 12th. Coatue previously did not report a stake at the end of 2015.