Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-08-31 15:36
- Reas Halvorsen's hedge fund firm Viking Global has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding its position in Mallinckrodt.
- Per the filing, Viking now owns 4.9% of the company with over 5.72 million shares.
- The filing was made due to activity on August 21st. We've also highlighted some of Viking Global's short positions here.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-08-31 14:33
- Warren Buffett's conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway has filed a Form 3 and Form 4 with the SEC.
- Per the filing, Berkshire now owns over 57.9 million shares of Phillips 66.
- Shares largely traded sideways over that timeframe, between $75 and $84. During the recent market turmoil they traded as low as $69.79.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-08-31 14:30
- Ricky Sandler, founder of hedge fund Eminence Capital, was recently interviewed on Anthony Scaramucci's rebooted show Wall Street Week.
- Sandler focuses on "Quality value," looking for quality businesses but trading at discount prices.
- For more, be sure to check out Mario Gabelli's interview on Wall Street Week from last week too.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Mon, 2015-08-31 14:25
- Stockbridge Partners has filed a 13G with the SEC regarding shares of Advanced Drainage Systems.
- Per the filing, Stockbridge now owns 6.9% of the company with over 3.66 million shares.
Submitted by ModernGraham on Mon, 2015-08-31 08:13
There are a number of great companies in the market today. By using the ModernGraham Valuation Model, I've selected the ten lowest PEmg (price / normalized earnings) companies reviewed by ModernGraham. Each company has been determined to be undervalued and suitable for the Defensive Investor according to the ModernGraham approach.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Mon, 2015-08-31 07:39
For dividend growth investors, there are certain attributes of investments that are more relevant than others, such as yield and dividend growth. To illustrate the power of dividend growth consider that an investment's yield-on-cost will double every 5 years if they grow their dividend by 15%/year or 7 years at 10%/year or 14 years at 5%/year.
This week several companies took a step toward doubling their shareholders yield-on-cost by increasing their cash dividends...
Submitted by ModernGraham on Sun, 2015-08-30 08:26
While ModernGraham supports the bottom-up approach to investing, many investors do utilize the top-down method, whereby an industry is selected before the company itself. With that in mind, this article will take a brief look at the best companies of the oil & gas industry, selecting the most promising investment opportunities within the industry, and giving a broad look into the industry as a whole.
Submitted by ModernGraham on Sat, 2015-08-29 08:16
We evaluated 25 different companies this week to determine whether they are suitable for Defensive Investors, those unwilling to do substantial research, or Enterprising Investors, those who are willing to do such research. We also put each company through the ModernGraham valuation model based on Benjamin Graham's value investing formulas in order to determine an intrinsic value for each. Out of those 25 companies, only 19 were found to be undervalued or fairly valued and suitable for either Defensive or Enterprising Investors.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-08-28 14:21
- The individual investor versus the institutional investor- The traits required to be a successful investor- Defining market and portfolio risk- Market myths- Defining your investment philosophy- Behavior on Wall St- Asset allocation- A comprehensive investment plan- Financial professionals.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-08-28 11:00
- The content provided within this blog is property of Market Folly and any views or opinions expressed herein are those solely of market folly and do not represent that of any firm or institution.
- Market Folly is not an investment advisor of any kind, so do not consider anything on this page to be legal, tax, or investment advice.
- Market Folly is not responsible for any 3rd party links or content.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Fri, 2015-08-28 10:55
- Activist investor Carl Icahn has filed a 13D with the SEC regarding shares of Freeport McMoRan.
- Shares of FCX were down as much as 65% for the year prior to Icahn revealing his stake.
- We've recently highlighted other portfolio activity from Icahn here.
Submitted by ModernGraham on Fri, 2015-08-28 08:12
There are a number of great companies in the market today. By using the ModernGraham Valuation Model, I've selected 10 low PE stocks for the Enterprising Investor. These companies have the lowest PEmg (price / normalized earnings) ratio out of all companies reviewed by ModernGraham. Each company has been determined to be suitable for the Enterprising Investor and undervalued according to the ModernGraham approach.
Submitted by sajid.karsan on Fri, 2015-08-28 06:34
- The book deals with societal issues including education, culture, technology, and inequality.
- A young, poor girl receives a special sci-fi book intended for a rich kid, and she goes on to live a kind of life that would not have been possible without the book's education.
- If you're into predictive sci-fi and/or some of the other themes I've discussed, you may well love this book.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2015-08-27 11:23
- Bill Ackman's hedge fund firm Pershing Square is out with its semi-annual report and second quarter letter.
- The thesis here is a consolidation play as they believe Iglo is a platform investment to then acquire more of the packaged food industry.
Submitted by MarketFolly on Thu, 2015-08-27 11:02
- Ruane Cunniff & Goldfarb recently released their Sequoia Fund investor day transcript for 2015.
- Sequoia Fund's investment management team discussed their thesis and outlook on numerous portfolio companies, including Valeant, Google, Mohawk, Idexx, Fastenal, Rolls Royce, TJX, O'Reilly, and many more.