Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 20:17
- WesternOne (TSX: WEQ) is being liquidated and it seems like an attractive investment so I took a position in it.
- The return is going to be driven by how much is paid out early.
- Return ExpectationLiquidation price (conservative, low): $2.20Return: 4.8%
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 14:59
- The tables below highlight AFG metric performance in the Russell 1000 Index, as well as additional style and size-focused metrics, to better understand investor preference within each regime shift based on style performance.
- Over the course of this recent growth cycle, technology and health care stocks have appreciated significantly compared to most other sectors.
- Stock selection on a sector basis was strongest in Consumer Staples, Industrials and Health Care and weakest in Energy, Information Technology and Materials.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 13:54
- And then the other thing that happened is BWXT was awarded a (very small) NASA contract to do work on nuclear propulsion for manned spaceflight (such as a future mission to Mars).
- “BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is working with NASA in support of the agency’s Nuclear Thermal Propulsion (NTP) Project.
- The interesting thing about BOH and Frost is that things on the deposit side change very, very little over time.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 11:53
- Take a look at several charts, below, that show the magnitude of the stock market’s overvaluation and, more importantly, put it into historical context.
- Did the stock market decline cause the recession, or did the recession cause the stock market decline?
- We don’t own the market.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 08:11
- I’ve been listening to The Indicator podcast by NPR since it started last year.
- I highly recommend it.
- As luck
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 07:41
- A double-digit dividend growth rate for several years is realistic.
- OZK is a strong regional bank growing through acquisition and through its Real Estate Speciality Group (RESG).
- What this small bank reminds us though; it’s that default will happen, and investors must be careful.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 05:35
- What to do when stocks are trading above fair value My thought process about buying & selling based on the OSV action score
- In other words, what do you do when the stock price looks overvalued, but the Action Score says it’s a buy?
- But I won’t be selling out completely because based on the rules of the OSV Action Scores, it’s better to hold while the Action score is still an A or B.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 05:10
- TB: We look for “a satisfactory owner earnings yield.” For example, if you take a company’s operating income after tax and divide that by its enterprise value, and that produces an owner earnings yield of 8-10%, you’re getting a pretty good return.
- TB: The valuation framework remains the same – we’re still trying to buy companies at significant discounts from a conservative estimate of the underlying intrinsic value of the business.
Submitted by VINBot on Tue, 2018-10-23 02:09
- We’ve just been watching a great recent interview with Charlie Munger in which he was asked his thoughts on Telsa and Elon Musk.
- Here’s his response:
- Munger: Well it’s already created more significance than anybody would have predicted and its founder is bold and brilliant and swings for the fences.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2018-10-22 18:28
- For comparison, West Texas is around US$70, and Brent is US$80.
- It is well known that Canadian Western crude has a heavy price discount due to the inability to transport it to market.
- The question is to what degree this is reflected in current Canadian oil asset prices.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Mon, 2018-10-22 13:57
There are income investors and Dividend Growth investors. While the distinction is rather simple, it slips past many casual observers. Income investors are investing for maximum current income, while dividend growth investors are looking to maximize income over an extended period of time — usually sacrificing current income for potential greater future earnings. Unlike fixed income investments, a growing dividend means a growing yield on cost.
This week several companies pumped up their shareholders' yield by increasing their cash dividends...
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2018-10-22 13:23
- Tweedy Browne Buys Baidu, Sina, AutoZone
- Greenhaven Road Long Etsy, Fiat, Yelp
- On Fiat, he notes: "Fiat Chrysler is reducing the low margin fleet business by getting out of sedans and focusing on SUVs, aligning themselves with customer preferences and higher margins.They are also going to either spin off or sell their parts division.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2018-10-22 11:27
- The students of Columbia Business School just released the Fall 2018 edition of Graham & Doddsville .
- It features members of Tweedy, Browne’s investment committee, Scott Miller of Greenhaven Road Capital and Steve Tusa of JP Morgan.
- It also includes 2 stock pitches from students of Columbia’s Value Investing program.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2018-10-22 07:10
- Here’s a great video with Howard Marks at Bloomberg.
- “I think, as it often does, the market has flipped from being all good to all bad.
- Prior to October the 4th it was ignoring some possible problem sites and now it’s obsessing about them.
Submitted by VINBot on Mon, 2018-10-22 05:12
- So far we’ve provided the book recommendations from:
- Together with our own recommended reading list of:
- Taken from his writings, interviews, lectures, and amazon reviews over the years.