Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 18:50
- Below is my investor letter for 18Q1
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 17:51
- You may not be too familiar with Steadfast Group (ASX: SDF) and AUB Group (ASX: AUB), but these insurance brokers are high quality businesses in an industry with high barriers to entry.
- So much so, that 97 per cent of commercial lines are done through an intermediary (such as a broker).
- Steadfast is Australia’s largest network of such insurance brokers (about 30 per cent market share), and AUB Group the second largest (25 per cent inc IBNA).
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 15:50
- Below is my investor letter for 18Q1
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 14:38
- The first is that digital advertising's rise has started to slow, simply because it is now such a large part of the overall advertising market.
- Google's value is driven by revenue growth and operating margins, and changing one or both inputs has a significant effect on value.
- In my judgment, Alphabet's bigger value driver is revenue growth , not margins, and it is on that input, this valuation will rise of fall.
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 14:00
- And sometimes those filters are very irritating to people who check in with us about businesses - because we really can say "no" in 10 seconds or so to 90%+ of all of the things that come along simply because we have these filters.
- Second, we want 'em to be good businesses.
- Related book: The Tyranny of Metrics Freakonomics Radio: Why the Trump Tax Cuts Are Terrible/Awesome (Part 2) ( LINK )What Tennis Can Teach Us About Technology - by Jonah Lehrer ( LINK )
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 10:35
- Retirement, Early Retirement, Financial Independence and Early Retirement (FIRE) are very popular topics among personal finance bloggers.
- My “bad” retirement plans include having $1M between the age of 59 and 65.
- Do I have enough to retire?
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 09:59
- If the stock market goes up or down, it’s a win-win.
- Buy 50% first, and then buy the next 50% as you become more confident.
- The only way to do well in the market is to value stocks and know what price range to be buying in.
Submitted by VINBot on Thu, 2018-04-19 07:27
Submitted by MagicDiligence on Thu, 2018-04-19 07:21
Here are 4 reasons why investors should just eliminate airline stocks from their search.
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-04-18 21:59
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-04-18 16:04
- Money News 07.04.2018 RadioDavid BucklandApril 19, 2018 |
- Chief Executive Officer of Montgomery Investment Management, David has over 30 years of industry experience.
- Because of this, before acting on any of the information provided, you should always consider its appropriateness in light of your personal objectives, financial circumstances and needs and should consider seeking independent advice from a financial advisor if necessary before making any decisions.
Submitted by Dividend Growth... on Wed, 2018-04-18 15:06
I wanted to send in a quick note to readers about an interesting recent development. According to recent reports I have read, Amazon has shelved plans to sells drugs to hospitals. Fears of Amazon have plagued the share prices for companies such as Cardinal Health (CAH), CVS Health (CVS) and Walgreen's (WBA).
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-04-18 14:15
- "The financial world is so complex and unpredictable that a fair amount of our analyses will prove to have been flawed.... A dirt-cheap price is an anchor to windward against misperceiving current situations, or being unable to make accurate forecasts."
- --Marty Whitman
- Martin J. Whitman, age 93, Founder of Third Avenue Management, Passes Away ( LINK ) Related link: Over 30 Years of Value Insights from Martin J. Whitman IMF issues warning on global debt ( LINK ) [The full report is available HERE .
Submitted by VINBot on Wed, 2018-04-18 08:11
- A storm began brewing last winter for Whitbread plc (WTBCF) and its CEO Alison Brittain.
- Activist investor Sachem Head took a 3.4% stake in the company and began pushing for a breakup of the company.
- With Paul Singer’s Elliott Advisors becoming the company’s largest shareholder, it’s probably safe to upgrade that storm to hurricane status, category 5.
Submitted by Dividends4Life on Wed, 2018-04-18 07:47
Before the internet and even before computers, critical financial information was printed daily in newspapers. Though many newspapers still print this information, most people find it easier (and faster) to get information on their stocks from financial websites. So back when financial information was a tedious and manual process what was considered relevant enough to warrant inclusion?